The Top 3 Cloud Storage Services For Families
For those of us who have been around a while, we can recall a time where family functions were filled with bulky cameras and camcorders. Photos taken during holidays would be sent to relatives via snail mail; home videos would be transferred to VHS tapes and viewed on VCR’s. Maybe we’re going back a little too far, but that’s okay! We can assure you that these times did exist.
However, times have changed. Those days are gone. Now we live in a digital age where we capture most of our moments on our smartphones. We share files and photos through the internet. So what happens when we collect all of these memorable moments now? Hard copies are virtually non-existent, and if something happens to one of your devices, you could lose a lot of special memories. Then what?
We would hope that while you’re collecting all of these memories that you’d be using a cloud storage service to store and secure them. If not, what are you waiting for? There are tons of storage solutions out there designed to protect all of your files and ensure that you never lose them. These services make storing and sharing photos, videos, and music easier than ever with your entire family.
Factors You Should Consider Before Choosing A Solution
It is common for a family residence to include multiple laptops, tablets, smartphones, and desktop computers. All of these devices are loaded up with irreplaceable, sensitive data. To ensure that these files will always be safe and accessible, you’ll need a cloud storage service you can trust.
With all of that said, you shouldn’t trust just any cloud backup provider to protect all of your family’s important data. Some services boast high-end security. Some services have better reputations than others. But there are quite a few services out there that don’t perform as well as their competition.
We’re here to help you find the best solution possible. When you’re looking for the best solution for your family, there are a few things you’re going to want to make sure you have. A few examples of this would be:
- Sufficient storage space to adequately store everyone’s files without worry
- File sharing capabilities so that you can share your favorite moments
- A secure service that takes the privacy of your data seriously
These are a few examples. There are plenty of other useful features offered by cloud storage companies that you and your family could utilize. The best thing you can do is figure out what types of features are the most important to you and your family and create a list. This way, you’ll be able to identify which service is best for you.
You’re probably tired of hearing us ramble by now, right? Let’s get to our recommendations!
The SugarSync service launched in 2008 and is based out of San Mateo, CA. SugarSync currently has millions of users worldwide, and the company is partnered with big brands such as BestBuy, Lenovo, and SanDisk. The company now rivals some of the most well-known cloud storage solutions on the market such as Sync.com, Carbonite, and DropBox.
SugarSync checks off a ton of the vital boxes and passes with flying colors. The SugarSync service is fast, feature-rich, and as good as you’ll find when it comes to syncing and sharing. The SugarSync platform also offers various plans including custom plans for large groups of users. This solution has everything a family should be seeking.
- Collaboration features are perfect for a family environment
- Excellent upload and download speeds to share files quickly
- Numerous plans offered including custom plans
- File sharing and syncing
- Music syncing on unlimited devices
- The number of extra features may be confusing for more novice users
- SugarSync service is a bit costlier than similar services
- Encryption is not user-managed
ZipCloud is a company based out of the UK with offices in the US. If you’ve heard of JustCloud, you may be interested to know that they are the sister company to ZipCloud and that the companies run under the same ownership.
Flexibility is a big sticking point for us. We don’t like being boxed in by companies who offer limited plans. With ZipCloud, it’s not an issue. Not only does this company offer various storage size plans, but they also offer many subscription terms for each of their plans as well as an extensive list of add-on options. Finding the storage plan you want Is incredibly easy with ZipCloud.
- File and folder sharing anywhere, anytime – perfect for families looking to share
- Privacy is taken seriously – 256-bit SSL encryption
- Browse, backup, and sync all from mobile device; access from anywhere at any time
- Easily sync files across all devices
- Unlimited file versioning and folder sharing
- File size limitations can be frustrating
- Less refined and feature-rich than other services
- Cost of additional features can add up quickly and make the service too expensive
Speaking of JustCloud. This cloud storage solution has been around since 2010. As we mentioned earlier, they are run under the same ownership as the ZipCloud service and are based out of the UK. JustCloud is a simple, easy to use cloud storage service. There’s no significant learning curve or overwhelming list of features. Simply install the service and start storing!
JustCloud is an excellent choice when it comes to family storage. If you’re interested in sharing photos with family members, JustCloud makes it so easy that even grandma can use it! You can access, browse, and download all from your mobile device and JustCloud’s AES 256-bit encryption ensures that all of your files are safe and secure.
- Automatic backups – never worry about needing to do it manually
- Sync multiple devices with a single account
- Fast and secure cloud storage
- Share files and folders anywhere at any time
- Browse, backup, and sync from mobile device
- Pop-ups can be distracting and irritating
- Not much offered in the way of features or extras
- Some users were unhappy with the customer support
Let’s Wrap Things Up
When it comes cloud providers for a family setting, we feel that the SugarSync service is easily the best choice. Their service is rock solid all the way around with minimal drawbacks and is perfect for family use. We also love our other recommendations. Regardless of which one you choose, you can’t go wrong with any of the three. Family is important, and so are your memories.