There are numerous avenues through which people accumulate and store large files. Whether it’s a business setting or personal data including large video files or other media, no one wants to lug around multiple hard drives or physical storage devices. Hard drives can fail, they can be damaged, they can be lost or stolen.
The bottom line is that physical storage is simply not reliable enough to store large files on without protection.
Fortunately for you, there are plenty of cloud storage services out there that provide exactly what you’re seeking. When it comes to large files, one of the most important things you’re going to be looking for are fast transfer speeds. No one wants to sit and wait hours at a time for their larger files to transfer, and there are a few cloud storage platforms who have built their product with that in mind.
Finding the Best Cloud Storage for Large Files
A couple of the major obstacles when it comes to large files and cloud storage is overall space and transfer speed. These should be obvious. Anyone dealing with large files is going to want a service that provides abundant storage options. A cloud storage service can be exceptional, but if they aren’t providing you with sufficient space, the entire service is virtually useless.
Transfer speed is the other hurdle you need to clear. All of the bells and whistles are great but if your service is transferring your files at snail’s pace and consuming too much of your time, is that service really worth it? Probably not.
Encryption and security are necessary for most people, but the encryption process can bog things down which may not be ideal when it comes to larger files. Local encryption is the way to go if that’s what you’re looking for. If you’re less concerned with encryption, you can also find services that don’t utilize it.
Throughout your search for the best overall solution, you’ll probably want to make sure you have:
- Plenty of storage space to comfortably accommodate all of your large files
- Fast transfer speeds so that you can store your data quickly without the headaches
- No file size limitations; or limitations that won’t be restrictive
These are the major points you’re likely to be focused on when you’re searching for the best overall cloud storage service for large files. However, these aren’t the only things that will influence your decision. There are many other features of these services to take into account. Our advice? Make a list of what’s important to you so that you have a reference point to use when you’re making a decision.
Winner: Sync.com Cloud Storage
The trio responsible for the Sync.com service, which launched in 2011, created their product with privacy at the forefront. The creators of Sync.com wanted to take a different approach than most other cloud storage services which is why they built theirs as a fully-encrypted, zero-knowledge platform.
Not only has Sync.com delivered on their privacy promises with their zero-knowledge encryption, but the service didn’t cut corners anywhere else to do so. Those who are dealing with large files may be wary of Sync.com’s encryption bogging down their transfer speeds. We’re happy to report that the speeds are still well above-average and that there are barely any flaws with the Sync.com service.
- Interface is easy to use and operate
- Quality syncing speeds
- 2TB plan offers sufficient space even for those with many large files
- Advanced collaboration without file size limits
- Excellent support
- Encryption doesn’t bog things down too much, but it does have an effect
- No file sharing offered with mobile client
- No video streaming
Second Place: pCloud Cloud Storage
pCloud hasn’t even been around for five years, and they’ve already made waves in the cloud storage scene. Their potential 20GB of free storage to start off tells you that they’re confident in their product and what they have to offer. The company is based out of Switzerland, and there are over 6 million users who are currently using their service today.
“Why not?” might be an easier question to answer since the pCloud services has far fewer weaknesses than strengths. The service is incredibly easy to use. The pricing of the service is favorable. Unlike many other services, pCloud doesn’t take up any space on your computer. This cloud storage platform is solid all-around and is ideal for those who regularly deal with large files.
- No file size limits – excellent for those dealing with large files
- Share files and folders with anyone, even if they’re not pCloud users
- “Crypto” provides additional security for those who are concerned with their privacy
- 20GB of free storage is more than almost any other competitor offers
- Faster than DropBox and other similar services
- Standard plans are missing local encryption – although users looking for speed may prefer this
- No scheduled backups
- Lacks the mobile apps offered by some similar services
Third Place: SugarSync Cloud Storage
Based out of San Mateo, CA and being players in the cloud storage community for nearly a decade, SugarSync has upped their game and are now rivaling some of the biggest cloud storage services on the market. The SugarSync platform has been featured in publications such as the Wall Street Journal and PC Mag, both of which were extremely complimentary regarding their services.
For starters, if you’re going to be dealing with large files, you’re going to want to use a service without file size limitations. SugarSync fits that criteria. Since speed and performance are also paramount for these types of users, you’ll be glad to know that the SugarSync service ranks very favorably in that regard compared to other services.
- No file size limitation
- Offers file versioning but only counts one copy towards the overall storage total
- TLS and 256-bit AES encryption for data both in transit and at rest
- One of the best file syncing and sharing services on the market
- Share and manage files using mobile device anywhere at any time
- 500GB is the biggest storage plan for individual users which is limiting
- Backup scheduling not available
- A bit costlier than most of the competition
Wrapping it all Up
When it comes to dealing with large files, you’re likely going to have your sights set on cloud storage that allows you to work quickly and efficiently. No one wants to wait around for hours at a time and babysit their uploads or downloads. That’s why we feel that Sync.com provides the best overall service for users who are dealing with a lot of large files but are also looking for an all-around strong service.
Here's a list of reviews we've completed for the top 3 companies discussed in this article.