If you’re a video editor, you’re likely dealing with large files on a regular basis. The number of video files out there has skyrocketed in recent years thanks to the simplicity of recording video across numerous devices. Naturally, a question you may have is “where are all of these files being stored?” It’s a great question! Video files can take up a lot of space.
Video editors shoulder the unenviable task of managing and storing a high volume of video files. Considering most of these editors’ careers depend on safely storing their data, we’d be stating the obvious if we told you that losing these files would be disastrous and potentially career-threatening.
Sure, physical storage is more affordable than ever now. You can grab an external hard drive with 2 TB or more without breaking the bank. But hard drives fail. What if you accidentally knock your external HD right off your desk and it becomes defective? What if you spill your giant mug of hot coffee all over it and wreck the whole thing? Bam! You can wave goodbye to all of your hard work.
We’re going to go out on a limb and guess that you’ve probably already decided not to take that type of risk. It’s common sense. Perhaps you’re in the market for your first cloud storage service. Or maybe this isn’t your first rodeo, and you already know all about what cloud storage services do but are unhappy with your current provider.
Fear not! Whatever the case, if you’re looking for a cloud storage solution that will best fit your needs, just follow us. We’re going to help you find exactly what you need. We can assure you there’s a service out there that is perfect for you.
Finding the Best Cloud Storage for Video Editing
Simply having a cloud storage service for all of your video files isn’t enough these days. You need a service that you can rely on. A service that offers the storage space you need without eating your entire wallet in the process. A service that takes your privacy seriously and provides the flexibility you want and need.
Only you know for sure what types of features you want, but we’re going to go out on a limb and guess that these are a few of them:
- Instant syncing so that you can access your work no matter which device you’re using
- Collaborative features so that you can work on large projects with colleagues or friends
- Sufficient storage space so that you never run out during a crucial project
Maybe we’ve nailed exactly what you want, or maybe you’ve got other things in mind. That’s cool! If that’s the case, we’d suggest jotting these ideas and features down so that you have a quick reference point. You can check out our recommendations (which we promise we are getting to soon) and easily find the best match for you.
Well, we said we’d get to our recommendations, right? Here they are!
Winner: pCloud Cloud Storage
pCloud exists to make their user experience simple and headache-free. However, don’t mistake simplicity for low-quality. The pCloud service started up in 2013 and is based out of Switzerland. Their platform has grown considerably in the years since their inception, and it doesn’t look like they’ll be slowing down anytime soon.
When it comes to large file sizes, speed is your friend. No one wants to spend hours at a time waiting for file transfers. pCloud boasts one of the faster services out there so when it comes to video files, that’s a major plus. Speaking of pluses, pCloud is one of the very few services that won’t take up any space on your machine.
- No file size limits – perfect for video editors consistently dealing with large files
- 20GB free storage is a great starting point and more than you’ll get from similar services
- No limitations on folder syncing
- Superior speed compared to most other cloud storage platforms
- Secure TSL/SSL data transfer copied to multiple server locations to ensure user privacy
- Only one user can edit files at a time which could be limiting for collaborative purposes
- Standard plans don’t include the same encryption as other plans
- Some users have reported being unsatisfied with the customer service experience
Second Place: SugarSync Cloud Storage
The SugarSync service has been around for nearly ten years already. Time flies. Based out of San Mateo, CA, SugarSync’s cloud storage platform makes sharing and accessing files a breeze for all of their users. They’re trusted by big brands and boast being the preferred cloud storage service for millions of users around the world.
If you’re a video editor, it probably goes without saying that all of your files are extremely vital. You’re going to need a storage solution you can rely on. Enter SugarSync. Although their service isn’t loaded with unique features, it does most everything well. Armed with plenty of plan versatility and offering users the ability to easily choose what they want to be stored, SugarSync is one of the better services on the market.
- Excellent file sharing and collaborative features – perfect for group projects
- Access to your data from an unlimited number of devices
- Data encrypted locally, resulting in fast download and upload speeds
- Files are updated instantly on all devices
- Numerous plan options – something for everyone
- SugarSync has a free 5GB 90-day trial period but doesn’t offer any free long-term option
- Some users reported that some of the features were confusing
- A little more expensive than some services with similar features
Third Place: ZipCloud Cloud Storage
ZipCloud is a UK-based company that has offices in the U.S. The company was founded in early 2011 with the goal of being one of the most comprehensive cloud storage services out there without charging their users premium prices. ZipCloud advertises as an unlimited storage service, but unfortunately, they don’t offer unlimited service plans. That said, they’ve still built an excellent service that is ideal for a wide array of users.
One of our favorite things about the ZipCloud service is all the add-on features they offer. They also provide solutions for just about every platform, so they’ve got something for everyone. ZipCloud gives their users ultimate control over what they sync and when they sync it. The company wanted to build a service that offered all of the things their users wanted most, and have done an excellent job in meeting that goal.
- Browse, back up, and sync from anywhere, at any time
- Great file collaboration features which we love for team projects
- 256-bit SSL encryption to protect your privacy
- Keeps all of your deleted files in case you make a mistake and need to reverse course
- Numerous add-on features and plan versatility to ensure every user finds a perfect fit
- The add-on aspect has its drawbacks - ZipCloud makes many features that should be standard “extra” and thus, costlier
- We don’t love the desktop app – many competitors offer much more refined versions
- File size limitations could be a problem for editors with large files
Rounding Things Up
Only you will know which service is perfect for you. However, we feel pretty certain that if you’re a video editor, you’re going to love using the pCloud platform. As far as we’re concerned, pCloud offers the best bang for your buck and some of the best service out there. That’s not to say there’s any less love for our other recommendations. No matter what you choose here, you can’t go wrong.
Here's full reviews of the top 3 cloud storage services mentioned in this article: