In this day and age, there are iPhone users scattered all over the globe. The vast majority of these users store thousands of photos, videos, music, and other assorted files on their devices. Most of what they store on their iPhone is extremely personal.
Moments in time that they’ve captured on their cameras that can’t be replaced whether they be photos or videos, important messages from friends, and more. How terrible it would be if you were to lose all of these things in one fell swoop.
No one should ever have to lose everything they’ve stored on their phone. It’s completely avoidable as long as you’re using a cloud storage service that you can trust to store your data.
There are far too many solutions out there for any of us to have an excuse when it comes to protecting all of our most precious memories and files. We’re here to help you find the best cloud storage for your iPhone.
Finding the Best Cloud Storage for iPhone
We know what you’re thinking right now. You’re wondering what’s wrong with just paying a monthly price for iCloud. It’s integrated into the Apple OS; it’s convenient. So, what’s the problem? That should be the end of the discussion, right?
Done deal! Well...not so fast.
In case you don’t pay much attention to the news, it’s worth bringing to your attention that Apple’s iCloud has been targeted by several cyber-attacks in recent years. These attacks resulted in extremely personal photos and information being leaked out to the public. When you’re trusting a cloud storage service, the last thing you ever want to be concerned with is security.
With that being said, when you’re deciding on the best cloud storage for your iPhone, there are a few things you’ll want to make sure you have. A few of these things include:
- Sufficient storage space so that you’re always free to take as many photos/videos as you want
- Strong security so you never have to worry about compromised privacy
- A straightforward service that is both efficient and easy to use
Winner: Dropbox Cloud Storage
Dropbox was founded as a startup company by two MIT students back in 2007. The company currently has over 500,000 users and is one of the most popular cloud storage solutions in the world. Dropbox prides itself on being user-friendly and dependable.
Dropbox is one of the most distinguished cloud storage services you’ll find. Transitioning from iCloud to Dropbox to store your files is a breeze and can be done seamlessly. Dropbox was specifically designed with mobile users in mind and is highly convenient on many different fronts.
- Designed to work with iOS; the transition process is incredibly easy and headache-free
- Overall ease of use
- Access your files anywhere on any device and share them with anyone
- Send and share larger video files quickly
- 2GB of free storage offered without any expiration
- Some security concerns; particularly the lack of local encryption
- While the overall simplicity is good, Dropbox is missing several features offered elsewhere
- Slightly more expensive than other storage services
Second Place: iDrive Cloud Storage
The iDrive company was founded all the way back in 1995 and is based out of Calabasas, CA. They specialize in cloud storage, online backup, and remote access. iDrive currently serves over 3 million customers covering over 60 Petabytes of data.
iDrive features a plethora of capabilities for iPhone users looking to store their files and data and is also extremely affordable. With iDrive, you can securely back up, share, and enjoy all of your music, photos, videos, and other media anywhere and everywhere. iDrive is cross-platform compatible and makes it easy to sync all of your files across all of your devices whenever you want.
- Unlike other companies that have access to your encryption key, iDrive offers 256-bit AES encryption with a user defined key known only to you
- Securely back up all of your Facebook and Instagram photos and videos easily
- iDrive maintains multiple file versions and keeps up to 10 previous versions of all files
- Local backup via iDrive One allows you to back up data from multiple devices and restore easily
- Very affordable compared to similar services
- No monthly plans offered; yearly only
- Some users have reported feeling overwhelmed and confused by all of the features
- Some users have reported unexpected overage charges
Third Place: SugarSync Cloud Storage
SugarSync was launched in 2008 and is based out of San Mateo, CA. The easy to use company has millions of users around the world and is trusted by big brands such as Best Buy, Lenovo, and SanDisk. SugarSync allows their users to effortlessly share and access their files across all of their computers and devices.
The SugarSync interface isn’t particularly flashy or rich in extra features, but the service gets the job done efficiently and effectively. With SugarSync, you can manually choose what files and folders you want backed up so that everything you want is stored, and everything you don’t need isn’t. The company offers numerous plans so that you can find the one that best fits your needs.
- Files that are added or edited on any device are instantly updated and available on each of them
- Encrypted user data so that you never have to worry about security issues
- Syncing system is incredibly easy to use and allows you to sync across unlimited devices
- Transfer speeds are very fast compared to comparable services
- Numerous monthly plans offered
- A little on the expensive side compared to other comparable services
- No free trial option or free space to test the service with
- Some users have reported that canceling service was a complicated process
The End of the Road
Most iPhone users don’t think twice about their cloud storage. If they need it, they sign up for iCloud and settle without realizing that there are superior options out there.
For us, we feel that Dropbox is the best choice because of how seamlessly it integrates and how easy it is to use. Most of us keep a lot of media on our phones and would be crushed if we were to lose all of it. The price you pay for the best cloud storage you can find is well worth the peace of mind.