If you’re a graphic designer, you probably have a lot of work that needs storage. Super high-resolution files that are typical of graphic design can turn into pretty large files. Start putting together a portfolio of these files, and all of a sudden you realize that you may need more storage space than you originally thought.
Fortunately, it’s 2017 now, and you’d have to have been living under a rock for quite some time if you’ve yet to consider cloud storage options for your work. There are plenty of solutions out there to keep you from worrying about storage limitations, hard drive failure, spilling water all over your laptop, or whatever other things you clumsily may or may not do causing you to lose your files.
Finding the Best Cloud Storage for Graphic Designers
So, we’ve established that you’re going to need a cloud storage solution for all of your work. If you’re reading this, it’s probably because you either have not decided on one yet or are unhappy with the service you’re currently using. That’s why we’re here! We’ve got you covered.
Earlier on, we mentioned that having sufficient space for all of your graphic design files is vital. You’re already aware of that much. But what other reasons might you have for needing a cloud storage service you can trust as a graphic designer? These may be a few examples that hit home:
- The ability to sync your files across numerous devices so that you have access to them everywhere you go
- A secure service that will keep all of your work safe and save you from worrying
- A service that gives you the most bang for your buck. Why waste money on a service that charges you more for the same features others provide for less?
The above are just a few starting point suggestions for you to use. Each user is going to have a different set of priorities and things they feel are the most necessary. We love organization and you should too!
Make yourself a list that rounds up everything in a cloud storage service that you absolutely must have. When you peruse our recommendations and get pointed in the right direction, you can then use your list to decide on the perfect solution for you.
I think we’ve laid enough groundwork here; wouldn’t you agree? Let’s dive into the meat and potatoes and show you the best cloud storage services for graphic designers!
Winner: BackBlaze B2 Cloud Storage
Backblaze has been in the game since 2007, so they know what they’re doing. The company started with a few small goals in mind such as creating effective backup and storage solutions for friends. Ten years later, they’ve created one of the best and most widely-trusted storage solutions on the market.
Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage is a no-nonsense service with a simple pricing structure. Uploads are free. You pay one price for storage and one price for downloads. The system implemented by the company is extremely cost-effective, and you’ll see that reflected in what you pay to use it.
- No tiers or penalties for not hitting storage or download quotas
- Real-time access to data compared to similar services that require long wait times
- No unnecessary complexity and no confusion. Get the most bang for your buck with the fewest obstacles
- Layers of redundancy ensures that data is both reliable and available
- Security is not an issue; all connections are HTTPS and API’s are secured with authentication tokens
- Less feature-rich for those who like a lot of bells and whistles
- Missing the file-sharing capabilities provided by some similar services
- Some users have noted limited customer support
Second Place: ZipCloud Cloud Storage
ZipCloud is a UK-based cloud storage service that was founded in 2011 and exists to make your life easy. “Set it and forget it,” straight from the company themselves. ZipCloud allows you to choose your files, upload them to the cloud and access them whenever you want, wherever you want.
If simplicity is your thing, you’ve come to the right place. ZipCloud isn’t going to “wow” you with glamor and glitz but their service gets the job done, and it isn’t going to cost you an arm and a leg to use. Many graphic designers tend to prefer Mac OSX which is great news because ZipCloud was built by Mac users, for Mac users. Not a Mac user? Not a problem! ZipCloud is just as effective on Windows machines.
- Choose what you want to sync, where you want to sync it, and sync it across all of your devices
- Mobile access allows you to browse, access, and backup your files on-the-go
- Easily share your files and folders with others at any time
- Data secured with 256-bit SSL encryption
- Money-back guarantee allows you to try ZipCloud’s service with no pressure
- The service doesn’t have a ton of features
- Service may request you to upgrade plan once you’ve reached 500GB
- Sync folder has limitations
Third Place: Carbonite Cloud Storage
With over ten years of experience in giving people a reliable storage solution, Carbonite is one of the best companies out there. Carbonite is headquartered in Boston, MA, has four other US offices, as well as offices in Ontario, the Netherlands, and Germany. According to them, they’ve managed to recover over 40 billion files since their 2005 inception. Pretty impressive!
“Why not?” might be a better question. Carbonite has everything you need when it comes to your files including unlimited storage and affordable pricing. The service is fairly easy to use but is advanced enough for more computer-savvy customers. Accessing your files anywhere at any time is a breeze. Carbonite has been around long enough to know what they’re doing. They’re here to stay.
- Unlimited storage space in a world where fewer companies are offering it is a big deal
- Top notch security headed by encryption and guard-protected data centers
- No-risk 15-day free trial offered
- Available mobile app
- Remotely access files from any smartphone, computer, or tablet
- Some users reported repeated issues with an unresponsive interface
- No links for document sharing
- Company discontinued folder and file sharing capabilities in 2016
We’ve Reached Our Conclusion
It’s easy to get blinded by all of the promises and features advertised by the plethora of cloud storage services out there. That’s why we do all the real digging for you. In this case, if you’re a graphic designer, you can’t go wrong with any of our recommendations, but we think BackBlaze is your best bet. We know your work takes a lot of time and effort so it goes without saying that you should have the best cloud storage service to match.